Celadon Trucking: Leading On At 25
Celadon Trucking ranks as one of the largest truckload carriers in North America, with an annual revenue of more than $550 million. It has an aggregate mileage of over 100 million miles every year, hauling cargo within and between the three NAFTA countries.
The company is based in Indianapolis, and is employer to some 4,000 people. Celadon Trucking operates some 3,300 tractors and more than 10,000 trailers. Among its illustrious list of clients are some of the top companies in the world, including General Electric, Philip Morris, Wal-Mart, DaimlerChrysler, Procter & Gamble, DuPont, and Target.
Celadon Trucking is generally a dry van truckload carrier. It hauls full trailer loads of freight from point of dispatch direct to the point of destination, without stops and handling in between. The company conducts business in two main sectors – international business and truckload transportation within the US.
In its international truckload movements, Celadon Trucking provides time-sensitive freight transport between the US and its NAFTA partners, Canada and Mexico. The company makes around 150,000 border crossings every year, which is very possibly the biggest international truckload operation in the whole of North America.
Celadon Trucking also offers a whole range of trucking services within the United States. This includes long-haul over the road and dedicated routes. Celadon has expanded in recent years to improve its lane density, freight mix, and diversity of served customers.
Highlights of Celadon Trucking service
- International expertise – with 150,000 border crossings yearly, Celadon is the largest provider of international truck transport in the NAFTA area. It has increased supply chain security and reduced border vulnerabilities with its certification in the US Customs and Border Protection’s C-TPAT, ACE, and FAST programs.
- Professional team of drivers – the company is proud of its seasoned professionals and vouches for their clean backgrounds. Celadon ensures its drivers are healthy and dependable by maintaining a full clinic and fulltime medical personnel. The turnover rate is very low, at just half of the industry standard.
- Excellent equipment&the youngest fleet in the industry– the company’s fleet of late model tractors and its maintenance program assure that its equipment are clean, fuel-efficient, and professional-looking, thereby providing maximum cargo capacity and minimal downtime. Celadon Trucking has one of the youngest fleets in the entire industry, retiring its trucks every three years, unlike the prevailing practice of 5-year truck service elsewhere in the freight moving industry.
- Environmental excellence –Celadon is a SmartWay Transport Partner, which is a collaboration between the EPA and the trucking industry to reduce greenhouse gases and air pollution, while increasing fuel efficiency. Because of its efforts, Celadon won the Environmental Excellence Award of the EPA.
- Innovation & technological edge–Celadon Trucking invested in cutting edge technology and system enhancements, and is one of the first freight companies to use satellite tracking. Its latest advancements include:
- EDI: computer-to-computer monitoring and management of shipments, using electronic exchange of shipping notices, load tenders, invoices, proof of delivery, bill of lading, etc.
- Drop & swap: when a truck is delayed, Celadon’s system automatically arranges for another truck to intercept it and exchange the trailer.
- Micromap load selection: evaluates operational variables to match the right truck with a certain load.
- SensorTRACS: satellite technology that manages fuel efficiency in real time.
- Fleet control system: an anti-theft technology that allows tractors hauling high-value cargo to be shut down by remote.
- CelaTRAC: another online tracking tool, which allows customers to track loads over the Internet, retrieve proof of delivery, and access service reports. Celadon Trucking gives its customers more functionality in a single-screen view to read multiple reports and access to enhanced search function.